Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Recipe: Hashbrowns with Garlic Mushrooms

Who doesn't like hash browns? They are a perfect breakfast fried potato treat. They are incredibly simple and quick to make. Have I mentioned they are absolutely yummy? I've seen a lot of recipes for them with some interesting variations that I think I will try at some point of time or the other. However I did have half a box of button mushrooms in the fridge and hence decided to make hash browns with a topping of garlic mushrooms.

Requirements for a serving of about 5 pieces:

Hash Browns:

5-6 Potatos. (about 750 gms I think)
1 small onion finely chopped (optional)
3-4 table spoons of flour. (You can also use an egg).
2 tablespoons of butter
Olive oil (1/4 cup)
Salt-pepper to taste

Garlic Mushrooms

8-10 Button mushrooms. (depends on the size)
1/2 table spoon of garlic paste.
1/2 Jalapeno (3-4 slices of a picked Jalapeno)
1 tablespoon of lime juice.
1 tablespoon of butter
2-3 fresh basil leaves
Oregano (fresh leaves preferred)
2 table spoons of Olive Oil.

Lets COOK!!!!!

Skin the potatos out first.



Grate them out. You can decide if you want small or long pieces depending on what final shape you choose for your hashbrowns.



Put the potatos in water for a good 10 minutes. They should be completely submerged. Cover the bowl and set away to the side. By the time they finish soaking, we can make our mushrooms.

Cut up the button mushrooms into flat thin slices. Lightly sprinkle some olive oil on them and mix them together.



To add a little spice, i'm adding my favourite peppers. Jalapenos. Unluckily I did not have fresh Jalapenos with me. However we always keep a jar of sliced pickled jalapenos, so I made do with those.



Grate the Jalapenos into a fine near-paste consistency.



Now heat the olive oil in a pan. Mix in the butter. When it heats up you can add in the Garlic paste, Mushrooms and grated Jalapenos.



Stir and flip over the mushrooms consistently.Pour in the Lime juice. Add in some diced basil, Oregano, salt, and black pepper for taste. You can take it off heat in about 4-5 minutes.



Take the grated potatos out of the bowl of water. Now, the drier you can get these potatos, and the more water you can get out of them, the crisper the hashbrowns will be. I first squeezed them over a perforated plate, and to get the final moister out, squeezed them between paper towels.
Mix in the diced onions and the flour. The flour is used to hold the potatos together whilst they are frying. Add in some salt and pepper to taste.
You want to now make a patty that is about 6-12 mm thick. I decided to try and see how it went when they were left under 6 mm thick, since I wanted them really crisp. A simple steel bowl was used to mould them into the required shape.



Heat up the oil and butter in a saucepan. When they start to heat up, you can add the patties gently into the pan. Fry each side for a good 3-4 minutes till they are a nice golden brown.



Im not the biggest fan of overly oily food. So the minute these were done, I popped them onto a set of paper towels. This drains away a lot of the oil leaving just a crisp patty.




And we are ready. Spoon on the garlic mushrooms. I grated a little cheddar cheese on top just as a garnish. They turned out beautifully crisp and the garlic buttery mushrooms add a savoury flavour that makes a perfect start to the day.


2 comments:

  1. Dude, great work! Brilliant pictures, I would totally try this if I like potato, almost makes me want to like them. Keep em coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! The garlic mushrooms are something that's quite novel to Hash Browns..definitely worth a try. Why wait till morning? I think I'll give your recipe a try as an evening snack. I'm actually more curious to see the flavor the JalapeƱos lend to the mushrooms.
    Very appetizing pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...